Founded in 1907, SBLI was the creation of Louis Brandeis, who was later appointed as Chief Justice of the United States Supreme Court.
With the mission of building a savings bank that offered affordable life insurance coverage specifically for hard-working families, Brandeis set out to improve the image of the insurance industry. During the company’s earlier years, certain business practices caused the life insurance industry to be viewed with less respect than other industries.
However, courtesy of prudent leadership and the willingness to serve American families, SBLI has grown into one of our nation’s most respected life insurance providers.
SBLI’s Financial Ratings and Outlook
The financial ratings for an insurance company are based on that company’s financial stability and ability to pay out future claims. Life insurance is, in essence, a promise between the company and the policyholder, meaning that premiums paid on a policy will be exchanged with the company’s promise to pay any claims in return. Therefore, it’s critical for consumers to be fully aware of the insurer of choice’s financial ratings.
Leading insurance rating agencies provide ratings for insurance companies so that the consumer is able to make an informed decision when selecting a life insurance company. The following table provides the current financial ratings for the Savings Bank Life Insurance Company of Massachusetts (SBLI):
|Rating Company||2019 Ratings|
|A.M. Best||A (Excellent)|
|Standard & Poor’s||A- (Strong)|
|Better Business Bureau||A+|
Life Insurance Products from SBLI
Just as with most life insurance companies in the market, Savings Bank Mutual Life Insurance Company offers both term life and permanent life insurance. The difference, however, with SBLI is that consumers find it easier to shop for and purchase their insurance products. In fact, what attracts consumers the most is that the majority of SBLI’s policies do not require a medical exam.
Term Life Insurance
SBLI’s Term Life Insurance is available in 10, 15, 20, 25, and 30-year policy terms. All of their term policies offer the conversion privilege in order to obtain permanent coverage without the additional need for medical underwriting. Furthermore, the policy’s guaranteed level premium will remain until the end of the policy term and can be renewed until the age of 85.
Face amounts ranging between $100,000 and $50 million are available for eligible applicants between the ages of 18 and 69. Face amounts ranging between $100,000 and $10 million are available for those 70 to 74 years of age, but they will only be eligible for the 10-year term life policy. Furthermore, SBLI’s Accelerated Underwriting, which requires no medical exam, is available for those 18 to 60 years of age, provided that the face amount being purchased is $500,000 or lower.Here are actual rates for a $250,000 20-year policy for a very healthy male and female non-smoker:
|Age of Applicant||Male Non-Smoker||Female Non-Smoker|
In order to view the most accurate rates for your age, use our instant TERM rater located on the right side of the page. Use the Life Insurance Calculator located below to estimate the amount of life insurance you should consider:
For eligible applicants seeking more than a death benefit, SBLI provides optional riders that assist in expanding your coverage, as well as providing living benefits.
- Accelerated Death Benefit – Available for no additional cost, the Accelerated Death Benefit Rider allows the insurance provider to advance up to $250,000 to the policyholder in the case of terminal illness that will cause death to the insured within a year. This rider is also available to be used with the SBLI Flex Whole Life Insurance policy.
- Accidental Death Benefit – In cases of accidental death, this rider allows the insurance company to pay the insured the face amount of the rider plus the policy’s death benefit. This rider is also available to be used with the SBLI Flex Whole Life Insurance policy.
- Children’s Level Term – The Children’s Level Term rider is available for children, natural or adopted, ages 15 days to 23 years of age. Additionally, this rider allows for the conversion to a permanent form of life insurance for up to five times the rider limit amount. This rider is also available with the SBLI Flex Whole Life Insurance policy.
- Waiver of Premium – In cases where the policyholder becomes disabled and unable to work, this rider allows the insurance provider to waive all premiums. As with the previously mentioned riders, this rider is also available to be used with the SBLI Flex Whole Life Insurance policy.
SBLI Flex Whole Life Insurance
More expensive than SBI’s Term Life Insurance, the Flex Whole Life Insurance policy is a popular choice for those seeking the guarantees and benefits offered with whole life insurance.
- Your life insurance coverage is guaranteed and will never expire
- Premiums will remain level and cannot be increased by the provider
- The policy will accumulate cash value over time, which can be accessed by the policyholder either through withdrawals or policy loans.
One of the best features of the SBLI Flex Whole Life Insurance policy is the dividends earned each year. Due to the fact that SBLI is a mutual company, policyholders have the capability of increasing their policy’s value using the resultant dividends on an annual basis.
Additionally, these funds earned can either be added to the cash value feature in order to accumulate interest, used to purchase additional coverage, withdrawn as cash for the policyholder, or used to reduce future premiums on the policy. Despite the fact that these dividends are not guaranteed annually, SBLI continues to have a strong performance history of distributing them to their clients each year.
Lastly, it’s relevant to point out that SBLI provides several payment plans for its Flex Whole Life insurance. Eligible applicants can choose to select a single-premium policy, pay continuously through their lifetime, have the policy completely paid up by age 65, or select 10, 15, or 20-year payment plans.
As mentioned above, all available riders, plus a few not mentioned, can be used with the SBLI Flex Whole Life Insurance policy. Our insurance professionals are always readily available to provide additional information on SBLI’s policy riders.
In my 20+ years as an independent life and disability insurance broker, I have personally assisted thousands of clients with their life and disability insurance needs. Being independent, I represent many highly-rated insurance companies and, because I am not beholden to any one insurance company, my focus is to find the right company and policy for each individual client.
I believe that when people shop for insurance (or anything else, for that matter) on the Internet, they are looking for a simple, non-intrusive, non-pressure method of doing so. I strive to treat my prospective clients with the utmost respect and I believe an educated prospect can make the right decision without sales pressure.